Saturday, June 6, 2009

The End of Shimmer

It is a sad day for my first novel. I officially received forty-five rejections, and the one request for a partial was returned today. It didn't "resonate" with the agent, which is a nice way of saying "it sucked." To be honest, it probably does suck. Even so, I must admit that I am more than a little bit crushed.

Gone are my secret dreams of immediate greatness. I haven't lost my desire to write, but my eagerness to become a published author has waned. I'd hardly be human if I didn't admit that rejection hurts.

On the bright side, I got a lovely "I'm sorry and still think you're great" BBQ popcorn kiss from my husband. The smell of his breath continues to linger in the air.

And the weekend isn't a complete wash. The English department had a "good riddance" party for those of us leaving, and one of my co-workers had some very kind remarks for me. It looks like I did a bang-up job of convincing them I'm a good teacher. All those acting classes came in handy!

I am worried about the state of my classroom when I return on Monday. The ants (and that is not a code name for something else. I do, literally, mean ants) were attempting a take-over on Thursday. They were aggressive a few weeks ago, but came back with a vengeance when they discovered my students were making literature dioramas using candy Peeps. I sprayed them with wipe-off-board spray, but that will only hold them for so long. Little bastards.

Beth - 0 Literary Agents - 45 Ants - ?

1 comment:

  1. Make out StudentJune 24, 2011 at 9:11 PM

    I don't think you're crazy enough to be an author. I've met many many authors because when I was little people (other than my parents) thought I was some sort of writing prodigy. That paper I handed in for my final I wrote when I was 9 and revised it to turn in this year. Alright anyways back on topic. Every author I've every met is batty, super weird. You're quirky keep teaching highschool and you could be quirky enough to be an author :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to post a comment!