Monday, August 31, 2009

Nightmares

When I was a child, my nightmares usually involved the supernatural. At age five, I had a dream that I heard noises in my garage. Inside, was a giant Siamese cat that wanted to kill me. Later, when I was a teenager, vampires would chase me with needles. Then there is that pesky dream where I go to an island on vacation and a Tyrannosaurus Rex tries to eat me. Thank you, makers of Jurassic Park.

But lately, it seems I am done with childish dreams of monsters and the undead. Now, I have something even more terrifying to fear: Going back to school.

There are several scenarios that haunt my mind at night. Most of them involve the first day of school. Many factors play a role, but there is usually some combination of the following:

1. I can't find my classroom and wander aimlessly through the halls searching for it.
2. One or more students refuse to behave.
3. I forgot to make the handouts and have nothing to teach.
4. A parent has decided to observe me and I am unprepared. (This one is particularly upsetting)
5. I arrive late and forgot the key to my classroom.
6. I forgot to wear a key piece of clothing . . . like my pants.

There are more, but I won't bore you with the details. Regardless, when did reality become scarier than the unimaginable? I'd like to think that if I were face to face with a vampire, I would be more frightened than if faced with a classroom full of students, but my dreams tell me otherwise. This change baffles me.

Dreams of monsters - 0
Dreams of students - 100

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to post a comment!