Saturday, February 20, 2010

Celebrities

Growing up, I idolized celebrities. They are beautiful and clever, and people adore them simply because they are famous. I wish my feelings hadn't changed, for life was so much simpler before I knew one.

To clarify, I used to know this celebrity, because we went to high school together. I guess you could say we were friends, but were never really close. We had mutual acquaintance, therefore hung out together on occasion.

She was beautiful. She was popular. She was class president, homecoming queen, prom queen, and voted "perfect person loved by all" in the senior superlatives. Alright, so I exaggerated on the superlative portion but I think you get the point. Of all those things, however, she was a nice person, which should have been the most important. But it isn't how most people remember her.

If you asked people what they remembered about me, they would probably say I was a theater nerd who wore her hair in a ponytail. The ponytail part hasn't changed. Actually, neither has the nerd portion and since I teach and virtually put on a "show" each day . . . nothing has changed.

High School was almost fourteen years ago. I like to think I've grown as a person, and have put the childish notions of high school popularity behind me, except that this beautiful, popular girl from my past has resurfaced. She went from a beloved high school student to a beloved local-going-national celebrity.

Now the men in my life (husband, friends, father) talk about her frequently. They ask me to invite her to parties.

No. I haven't talked to her in about 13 years.

They ask me to contact her to see if she will be in their short online films.

No. I haven't talked to her in about 13 years.

I realize how petty I sound, but shouldn't the little nerds who never spoke in class (not me, by the way) be the ones to blossom after high school and become famous? Don't they deserve it more than the person who was revered their entire life? Must the rest of us still be plagued by the high school greatness we never achieved?

It appears that way. It also appears that celebrities are only wonderful if you didn't know them as a kid.

Beth - 0

Popular high school student turned celebrity - 1

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to post a comment!