Monday, August 30, 2010

Conflict of Interest

I've been MIA for a while due to a busy summer filled with family activities. However, today I went back to work which, as you all know, makes for many interesting blogging topics. I'll run through my day to give you an overview.

The morning meeting opened with an invigorating speech from our superintendent of schools. We watched with rapt interest as he described, in detail, the county's goals for the year. People were so excited that they talked through his entire "movie". No doubt, of course, discussing how to implement his ideas.

All we need is become a slave to the school system.

Simple really. And then he apologized for not giving us a raise in three years. I'm sure every teacher in the room sensed his sincerity and planned on sending him a Christmas card this year.

We watched the true story of Rudy, which made many members of the English department cry. There was a correlation between our students and Rudy, but I was too busy crying to give it too much thought.

During the second meeting of the day, we examined out SOL scores (Standards of Learning - tests, for those not from Virginia) and were schooled (pardon my pun) on how to better serve the needs of our students. Just as I was feeling inadequate and under-prepared, the administration reminded us not to miss the mandatory luncheon tomorrow where we will go bowling for two hours. Nothing says "prepared for the school year" like a good game of mandatory bowling. I'm sure that team bowling will prepare me for next week . . . somehow.

Later in the afternoon I heard a brand new teacher spouting idealistic theory, confident that she will change the world. I still haven't figured out how to do that. One step at a time, honey.

I can't say that it was a bad day. I love teaching now as much as I did when I started five years ago. Sure, I'll have 32 students in my tiny room. Sure, I pray that all the students take a shower after gym, because Lord help us if they don't. But there is something about putting together a classroom, knowing students will learn something about a subject you love the most, that keeps me alive.

I'm ready school year 2010-2011. Bring it on.

Beth - 1
Obstacles - 0

1 comment:

  1. hey, as long as new teacher can control her classroom, spout away! She'll become all practical and boring in the next 2-5 years!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to post a comment!