Monday, December 20, 2010

Losing my mind


This afternoon, I was convinced I was losing my mind.

The students were presenting their research projects to the class, which consisted of an online Glogster poster as their final product. I've seen about forty of them in the past two days, which is bad for two reasons.

1. I should have seen close to seventy by now, indicating that approximately 40% of the students didn't bother to complete their project.
2. After a while, one project begins to melt into the other and by the end of the second day, my mind is screaming for some other form of entertainment.

Late in the afternoon, about fifteen minutes before the end of the day, two students got up to present their Glogster research project to the class. In front of me, I saw a blue background of a snowy, starry night. There were no pictures or text from what I could see.

The students stood in front of us, and one began to read from the screen.

Let me take this moment to remind you that I could see nothing but a blue, snowy, starry night background.

He wasn't using note cards, or notes of any kind, and my mind struggled to figure out how he was magically producing the scholarly words that fell from his mouth. This is it, I thought. I'm losing it. I've actually gone so insane that I can no longer see what others see. I blinked. I rubbed my eyes. I panicked.

And as I stared at the screen in confusion, wondering how in the world I was going to grade this project that everyone but me could see, my co-teacher leaned over and whispered in my ear.

"What the hell is he reading?" she asked, staring at the beautiful, blank background devoid of words.

Had I been in my right mind, I might have shrugged, or happily understood that I was not as crazy as I thought. Instead, I burst into laughter.

Rude? Yes.
Inappropriate? Of course.

But I couldn't help it. Here were two students reading from a magic screen that had words only students could see. As I gasped for breath, I managed to ask the perplexed student what he was reading, which is when I discovered that there were words on the project, but due to the coloring and lighting in the room, we simply couldn't see them.

Beth - 0
Students - 1 (They made their teacher insane!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to post a comment!