Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Joey on Names

Joey and I had an interesting conversation about names.  It went something like this:



Joey:  "Mommy, your name is Mommy, right?"

Me:  "Yes, that's what you call me."
 
Joey:  "But is that your name?"

Me: "Are you asking if Mommy is my first name?"

Joey:  "Yes"

Me:  "No, honey.  Mommy is not my first name."

Joey:  "Didn't your parents call you Mommy when you were a little girl?"

Me:  "No.  Mimi and Papa called me Beth, because they are my parents."

Joey:  "No they didn't."

Me:  "Yes, they did.  My name is Beth."

Joey:  "No.  Your name is Mommy.  They called you Mommy.  I know it."


I ceased arguing at that point.  


Joey - 1  
Mommy - 0

1 comment:

  1. I had a similar conversation with Mike... Anna, my oldest, never had a problem with this since, as a toddler, she was always around adults who constantly call me Karin. Emily believed everything Anna said so the conversation with her went something like this, "Emi, what's Mommy's name?" "Karin." I think the girls trick Mike a little too much (usually in good fun - they are pretending stuff and such) so he didn't believe me, the girls or Daddy - Gramma had to tell him the story of when I was born...

    However, kid had a memory b/c today when we were walking into Wegmans, he said, "Mommy, if I get lost, I'll tell the policeman that your name is Karin." Cute but I pointed out that he'd need to tell the store clerk at the checkout that he was lost and they'd be able to page me.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to post a comment!