Monday, July 25, 2011

Farewell to Facebook

After several years on Facebook, I've decided to de-activate my account. 

I've been thinking about this for a while, but a realization yesterday on my 33rd birthday helped "seal the deal," so to speak.  Although I received a great deal of happy birthday wishes on Facebook (which are much appreciated, by the way), I didn't receive a single phone call.

I never thought about the phone as being archaic, but I've come to realize that I rarely talk to people on the phone anymore.  My knowledge of my friends and family largely consists of short, two or three sentence posts or text messages.  Sadly, that is pretty much all they know about me as well, except for my local friends who I see more often.

I spend a huge amount of time on Facebook, but ultimately, get very little out of it.  Sure, I can see pictures of my friends and their children, but does that help me know what is really going on in their lives?  Do short posts about their political views or what they had for breakfast that morning give me any insight?

The short answer is "no". 

As I look at my two children right now, one is playing Super Mario Brothers on his Nintendo DS and the other is playing a penguin game on my husband's iPhone.  We all spend too much time on technology and not enough time on each other.  I intend to change that.

So, goodbye Facebook.  Instead of reading posts, I'm going to live more. 

I'm going to spend more time with my children.  I'm going to take them outside, read to them and visit new places.

I'm going to take the time to visit my friends.  I'm going to send them personal emails if I can't visit them.

I'm going to send them a card and call them on their birthday.

I'm moving towards a life with less technology.  But don't worry, I'll still blog.  :) 

Beth - 1
Facebook - 0

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to post a comment!