Thursday, August 25, 2011

Nerds

My husband and I had an important discussion the other night.

Which is the hardest:  being a nerd and having to move multiple times, or being a nerd and never moving at all?

I maintain that that being a nerd never leaves you.  Therefore, having to move once (or four times in my case) only makes life harder.  Every group of people you encounter recognizes your inner-nerd and capitalizes on it.  It isn't enough to go through it once, but the pain is multiplied over and over again.  I mean, come on now.  I know I'm a nerd.  Must I constantly be reminded of it?

Mike, however, thinks it is harder if you are a nerd and never leave your home town.  Therefore, you are consistently reminded of your nerd status by the same people year after year, who never forget.

I don't believe that.  I think those people would lose interest in your nerd status after a year or so and leave you alone.  Eventually, my husband did admit that he became "cooler" in high school, which proves my point.  Unfortunately, I can't say the same about my own situation. 

I would like to say, however, that fifteen years later, I think that being a nerd makes me who I am.  Yes . . . I like to read a lot.  I enjoy science fiction and fantasy movies and books without abandon.  I recommend them to students in the hopes that they will find the same joy I did and realize that being a nerd only makes you unique and creative. 

And in the long run, it doesn't matter.  Being a nerd as a child doesn't have to make the slightest difference in your life as an adult.  In fact, I'd like to think it enhances it a bit, for I can impart my nerdiness on others in my own small way.

Plus, my husband really loves book nerds.  Just ask him.

Beth - 1
Cool kids - 0

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to post a comment!