Monday, September 26, 2011

Mother of the Year

Last week Jillian missed three days of school because she was sick.  So, you can imagine my surprise when her school called me this morning to say that she had come down to the nurse because she wasn't feeling well.

I asked to speak to her. 

"Mommy," said a sweet pixie voice.  "I don't feel good."

I felt really conflicted.  I didn't want her to feel sick at school, but the nurse said she didn't have a fever and she had already missed three days last week.

"What feels sick, baby?" I asked. 

"My head and nose," she said.  Then she coughed for good measure.

"Jillian," I said.  "You missed so much school last week.  Do you think you could wait an hour and see how you feel?  Today is only a half day and I'd hate for you to have to miss more work."

After a short pause, she sighed and said, "Ok, Mommy."

"Ok Baby," I said.  "I'm really proud of you for being so tough.  If you still feel really sick in an hour, have the nurse call me back."

"Ok," she said.  I told her I loved her, and she handed the phone back to the nurse.  After a brief exchange, I hung up the phone.

Not one minute later, the phone rang again, and my heart sank.  I was going to have to pick her up.  (I'll be honest.  I probably would have called my mom and begged her to watch Jillian again, and she would have said yes because she is so awesome and I am so lovable).

"Hello?" I said.

The nurse to whom I'd just spoken was on the other line.  "Mrs. Harar?" she said.  "I'm really sorry, but it turns out Jillian isn't sick at all.  I got your daughter confused with another little girl."

"Oh!" I said, relieved.  "But wait.  Are you saying that the little girl I talked to wasn't my daughter?" 

"Yes," the nurse said sheepishly.  "Sorry."

This is me.  Confused mother.
I had an entire conversation with a child that was not my daughter and couldn't even tell the difference.  Apparently, neither could she, which makes me feel a little bit better.  She also might be confused about her name, because she let me call her Jillian multiple times.  At least she called me Mommy.

I probably won't be nominated for Mother-of-the Year this time around.

Beth - 0
Nurse - 0
Child - 1 (I'm guessing her mother was nicer than me and let her go home)

1 comment:

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to post a comment!