Saturday, November 12, 2011

Vegetables

About a week ago, I remembered (for the first time in three months) that Joey needed to bring in an item for show and tell on Friday.  I reminded Mike the night before to choose a vegetable, and went to work the next morning very proud that I had not forgotten.

FYI - The tomato and squash may seem happy,
 but are actually upset because the are so often
categorized as vegetables.
Around 8:45, Mike called.  "I forgot to get a vegetable for Joey," he said. 

Understandably, my reaction was a bit negative.  I would no longer allow my status as "forgetful parent" to run rampant through his preschool.  Therefore, I instructed Mike to go home and get a vegetable for Joey's show and tell.

Mike is smart.  He obliged immediately.

I remained on the phone with him as he scoured our fridge for a respectable vegetable.  He became excited when he found an acorn squash; however, I reminded him that squash was not a vegetable because it had seeds.  His mistake was common, but I wanted to make sure that my son had a REAL vegetable, not a fruit commonly mistaken as a vegetable. 

We argued on the point for several minutes. I asked him if he thought we would be having a conversation like this ten years ago while we were making out on his college apartment couch.  He gave up the argument soon after.

Luckily, he found some salvageable brussell sprouts and a potato.  At that point, we got off the phone.

About ten minutes later, I received a text message from my husband.  "I just saw a mom bringing a butternut squash into the preschool," it read.  "What a dummy."

We really are awesome parents.


Beth - 1 (My fruit/veggie skills are legit)
Mike - 1 (Good comeback)
Mom with the squash - 0

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to post a comment!