Thursday, December 22, 2011

Clapping

I have a deep dislike of clapping. 

Not all clapping, by the way.  Just the dreaded "clap along".


See how their hands aren't in sync?  That's
what bugs the crap out of me.  Why?  Why
can't they all clap at the same time???

You know what I mean.  I'm talking about the type of "clap along" where people find a beat during a concert and clap their hands along to the song.  Its bad enough when the musicians initiate the clapping, but when the audience decides to clap of their own accord, I'm REALLY cringing.

Everything starts OK, if you like unnecessary noise that detracts from the music you've come to hear.  People seem to pick up on the beat fairly quickly, and for a while everything sounds fine (again, if you like the sound of clapping over music).  But inevitably, things go downhill very quickly.





This is what I should hear:

CLAP    CLAP    CLAP    CLAP    CLAP    CLAP    CLAP   

This is what I hear instead:

CLAP CLAP   CLAPCLAP            CLAPCLAPCLAP      CLAPPY            CLAPPY

Just as some people have no business singing in public, there are people who have no business clapping along with music.  With each mis-clap, my body cringes and my mind silently screams at them to stop.  I can't explain why this bothers me so much, and I recognize that my dislike of clapping is highly unnatural. 

Everyone has their quirks, right?  Aren't I allowed to have mine?  

I can't help that I want to tackle the adorable old man next to me who is clapping his hands in a non-sensical rhythm.  Nor is it my fault that every time his hands come together, the sound is like a giant clap (pardon the pun) of thunder against my heart and my patience becomes the width of rice paper.   

In the spirit of Christmas, I'll go ahead and say that I'm glad the clap-along I so hate brings most people pleasure.  From what I've observed, those who participate truly enjoy themselves, for their smiles say it all.  It's nice to know that something that drives me crazy makes others sublimely happy. 

Beth - 0
Clapping-Along - 1

2 comments:

  1. I applaud you on your efforts here:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm one of the people who have no business clapping-along in public but let me defend myself - if you don't participate in the clap-along (that you did not start, btw), you look like you aren't enjoying yourself and here's what I hear instead of the music when refraining from the clap-along, "you okay?" "don't you like this song?" .

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to post a comment!