Thursday, January 5, 2012

A Few Thoughts on The Walking Dead

I'm a big fan of the AMC show The Walking Dead.  In fact, I'm re-watching the first two seasons right now.  It is an excellent show, weaving zombie suspense with real human drama, although the show is more about the humans than with the zombies that want to eat them. 

I've gone back and watched the ending of the season two finale at least five times.  There is a scene that is so horrifying, and yet equally so poignant that I'm torn between which emotion I'd rather feel.  The creators have woven the characters together very well, and I feel as if I know them. 
They've created a world where there are no easy answers . . . much like ours I suppose.  In fact, it made me think a little bit about science fiction, fantasy, and post apocalyptic movies and books.  I think I like them so much because I'm able to relate to the emotions as an outsider.  They aren't like a tragic Nicholas Sparks novel where the scenarios are all to familiar or realistic that I don't even want to read about them. 

Science Fiction gives me the same emotions, but with the ability to apply it to my own life, for I don't plan on making the decision of shooting my zombie mother any time soon.  But, I can take the theme of tough decision making and apply it to myself in my own way.  I enjoy reading about things that are unrealistic, for it is easier to ignore the scenario, and instead focus on the message.

I'm not sure if I've made any sense here, but sometimes I just have to share my musings.  :)

Beth - 1
The Walking Dead - 1
Science Fiction/Fantasy/Post Apocalyptic Fiction - 1
Realistic Dramas - 0

1 comment:

  1. Ahh, yes, a good story beats realty television every time. Especially when that story is fantasy or science-fiction. I am definitely going to give this series a chance now. If your in need of some beautiful light sci-fi reading you should check out Sharon Shinn's Samara series, it starts with Archangel. :D

    Hugs and Love,
    Tony

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to post a comment!