Monday, March 5, 2012

A Teaching Analogy

Recently, in the same week, I had a student tell me she wanted to "marry" my teaching (this was a compliment, by the way, because she really likes the way I teach) and another student cuss me out as he stormed out of the room.

And I've come to the conclusion that teaching is the equivalent of horse-back riding.  Sometimes I'm riding bareback in a pristine white cotton dress along a deserted stretch of beach in Fiji.  Other days, the horse uses a tree branch to blind-side me, knocking me off his back into a big pile of dirt.

I just don't know what kind of day I'm going to get when I arrive at work.  Being an English teacher, I couldn't begin to tell you what the odds might be of me landing in the dirt; all I know is that it takes one of the 90 children I see each day to start bucking (still sticking with the horse analogy here) to turn my day upside down. 

Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't have it any other way, but sometimes I wish I were dealing with loyal dogs instead of willful horses.

I just realized that I'm essentially comparing my students to horses and dogs.  I think I'll stop now.

Beth - 0
Hor . . , um, Students - 1

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to post a comment!