Saturday, May 5, 2012

Jillian's Big Day

Today was Jillian's BIG day.  This was the day she was going to recieve her First Holy Communion.  It was also the day of her very first overnight Girl Scout camping trip.

And she woke up with a fever. 


My beautiful daughter Jillian

Straight away, we knew there was no way she could go on the camping trip, which caused immediate tears and devastation.  She had been so excited to go.

However, after much thought and deliberation, we decided to load her up on Motrin and let her participate in Mass.  She'd worked to hard to get to this point, and it would only last two hours.  Mike gave her a special "signal" so if she felt too sick, she could let us know without yelling across the pews and we would take her out.

Joey and Me
When I dropped her off, things were looking up.  The Motrin had kicked in, and she was feeling better.  As you can see from the picture, she looked just beautiful. 

While she took pictures with her class, I fiercely defended a pew near the front so my family could all sit together and see.  You would think a church-full of Catholics would be understanding and respect the fact that I'd been sitting there for 45 minutes, but you'd be mistaken.  Around 9:30, I began sending desperate SOS text message pleading with everyone to come early so the evil glares would stop.  It's quite lonely sitting in a pew all by yourself, not to mention awkward.

Eventually everyone arrived, and mass began.  It was beautiful, and Father Kelly gave a nice sermon to the children.  As they were preparing gifts, my sister nudged me and pointed to the aisle, where a seeing eye-dog was laying spread eagle in the aisle.  (See picture) 

While we chuckled about the dog, I suddenly heard Mike say, "She needs to go!"

This was the best picture
of the dog we could get.


I turned to see Jillian pushing her way out of the pew and into Mike's arms.  I followed, and we hustled her down the aisle as she began making gagging noises.  We shoved her into the closest bathroom and made it into the stall just in time for her to yack into the toilet.  A confused 13 year old boy came out of the other stall and looked at me with wide eyes.  We were in the men's bathroom.  Oddly enough, this didn't stop another gentelmen from entering the remaining empty stall and using the facilities, despite the fact that two females were present.

My poor baby looked green.  She held it together long enough for the director to help her down the aisle to recieve her communion, and we hustled her out to the car and brought her home.

So, Jillian's big day was full of big surprises.  She is on the couch, with a higher fever, resting.  However, God saw fit to allow her to make it through communion, and as I watch the dark clouds roll across the sky, I think perhaps he was protecting her from a bad storm while camping. 

And I pray to God now that our favorite priest, Father Kelly, has the good sense to wash his hands thorougly so he doesn't catch Jillian's bug.

Jillian - 1 (What a trooper)
Beth - .5
Ill-timed sickness - 1

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to post a comment!