Thursday, November 29, 2012

Tis the Season to Give - To Me!!

In the spirit of Thanksgiving, Beth Revis is holding a contest.  The prize is 50 signed books by a myriad of authors.  You can find the link here.

There is really only one word that comes to mind when I think about this:  Gimmie!!!

However, based on the instructions I must discuss why I love YA (Young Adult for those unfamiliar) Literature.  So, in the spirit of giving, I figured I'd briefly discuss what YA Lit has given to me over the years. 

Hopefully this will help me win the 50 books for my ninth grade classroom (Shameless Promotional Plug Alert!).


To put is as simply as possible, YA Lit started my love affair with books.  But it wasn't until I was an adult that I truly understood how important they were.  I've always had a "sixth sense" when it comes to finding the deepest messages in literature, and I've found some of the most important lessons in YA Lit.

Top Five Lessons Learned Courtesy of YA Lit

1.  Beautiful girls with perfect blond hair can't be trusted
2.  Not all vampires are bad
3.  When bad things happen, avoid telling your parents
4.  I want to live in an urban fantasy novel
5.  High School is just a backdrop for a more important story


But in all seriousness, YA Lit helps me examine myself as a human being, as a friend, as a woman.  It reminds me of the most basic needs a person possesses.  It addresses the deepest problems of our society (Hello!?  The Giver!) in a way that both tears at my heart and leaves me awestruck.  YA Lit is for adults AND young adults because, in reality, most of us never grew up all the way anyway.

Good YA Lit doesn't just touch the reader; it profoundly affects them for the rest of their lives, snags their souls and leaves them with important life questions, wondering where to turn next.  For me, the next logical step was always another book as I still pondered the questions from the last, puzzling over how those questions fit into my own life.  That cycle continues today.

I've also never read a YA book that I didn't finish in less than two days.   

I teach young adults now.  I introduce them to all kinds of literature and ask them to open their minds to it.  I try my best to litter my room with young adult literature, hoping against hope that they will pick up a book, read it, and become hooked the way I did.   

And personally, I still read more young adult literature than anything else.  It has more heart than any other literature, in my opinion.  I write it as well, on the side of course.  My writing is not yet worthy of a publisher.

Anyhoo, those are my thoughts.  YA Lit has given me so much.  Maybe it will give me 50 free books!!  (Please?  Pretty, pretty please?)

Beth - 1
YA Lit - 1
Suckers Who Don't Read YA Lit - 0


2 comments:

  1. I don't care how old I get my heart will always belong to the world of middle grade and young adult. There certainly is a special bond you share with each character you pass through. They show so much more passion in everything they do. Something I'm sure we all want to exude in our daily lives!

    Fantastic blog and good luck on walking away with 50 free books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, I can tell you so many of these are SO GOOD! I need to write my own blog post. Best of luck to you, too.

    BTW, I'm always happy to talk YA books...or Walking Dead. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to post a comment!