Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Movies That Make Me Cry . . . A Lot


I figured it was time to write about movies that make me cry.  It doesn’t matter if I start watching them from the time the beginning credits start rolling or five minutes before the poignant scene at the end, but they’ll make me cry, without fail, every time.  I’m not exaggerating.  Just ask my husband, who has to put up with my blubbering.
***********************************Spoiler Alert***********************************
 
 Movies That Make Me Cry A Lot

Steel Magnolias:  A woman dies in front of her little boy.  The woman's mother loses it at the grave-sight.  The baby runs to his grandmother at the end because his mommy is gone.  Tears will flow.

Beaches:  They are on the beach.  She is dying.  It is horrible.  And then all of a sudden they switch to her funeral and her little girl asks if she can keep her cat!  Of course she can keep her cat!  Who the hell would take away a little girl’s cat?!

Dragonfly:  Seriously?  She survives long enough to have the baby and then dies?  And then Kevin Costner finds the baby after thinking he’s lost everything?  Heart-wrenching.  I can watch the last ten minutes and still sob for an hour after it is over.

Little House on the Prairie – Okay, okay.  So this isn’t a movie and I promised to talk about movies.  But I couldn’t leave this one out.  Laura’s little brother dies.  She goes up to the mountain to ask God to take her instead.  The reunion between her and her father is pretty much the most touching thing ever.

50 First Dates:  Sure, the premise is funny.  Even ridiculous, perhaps.  But when she wakes up on that ship and sees her child for the “first” time, there won’t be a dry eye in the place. 

Resurrection:  A woman loses everything in a car accident, develops the power to heal and is shamelessly exploited.  She becomes a recluse to hide from the media.  At the end she saves a little boy dying of cancer, but he doesn’t even know it!  I’m ready to start crying now.

My Girl:  Macaulay Culkin dies from bee stings.  His best friend, a little girl, screams and cries at his grave, saying he needs his glasses.  No chance I won’t cry here.  For the record, I saw this as a teenager and no one warned me of the ending.  It was cruel and scarred me for life.

Escape from Sobibor:  I watched this movie once with my students.  I cried so hard I had to leave the room while they were watching it.  I’ll never watch it again.  The material is too disturbing for me to even describe without starting to cry, which I can't do because my children are in the room.

Charlotte’s Web:  This might be a cartoon, but when Charlotte dies, I’m a mess.

Neverending Story – Argue if you want, but when that horse drowns in the quicksand, I can’t hold in the tears.

Ben Hur – Jesus is crucified.  Ben Hur’s sister and mother are cured of leprosy.  I’m a bawling mess.

The Notebook - Don’t get me wrong.  Ryan Gosling is easily #1 on my list of super hot actors, but when his "old" self dies next to his true love, I’m crying really, really hard.

Forrest Gump – Damn you Tom Hanks and your love for Jen-ney.  Don’t be fooled.  I don’t cry when she dies.  I cry when he sees his son for the first time and asks if the son is stupid like him.

Up – I’m sobbing after the first five minutes.  And there hasn’t even been any talking yet.  Actually, my best friend and I watched this movie even after the kids wandered away.  We both cried at the end, too.
 
So, there you have it.  Call me a sap, but I'm always up for a good cry from a sad movie.
 
Beth - 1
Sad Movies - 1

1 comment:

  1. Omg Ryan gosling was like super hot in the notebook. I promise I went through 2 boxes of tissues. - Akash

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to post a comment!