Wednesday, April 2, 2014

A-Z Blogging Challenge: B is for Books

I’m an English teacher and a writer, so I’m often asked what I think about eBooks vs. books in print.  This is a touchy subject, precisely because I AM a teacher and I AM a writer. 

As a writer, I embrace the eBook.  It has widely grown in popularity and is a fantastic way to make my book accessible to more readers.   They are also less expensive and, as a reader, I really appreciate that.  As people continue to make the internet their world and more and more bookstores go out of business, I’d be crazy NOT to put stock in this market.

As a teacher, however, I have the propensity to want my students to read a bound book.  To start, that is how I became a reader.  Holding the book in my hand, the sound of flipping page after page as I became engrossed in a story, and the smell of all books – new and old - makes for warm, comfortable memories.   My students are constantly looking at a screen, and I think a book is a good change for them.  Secretly, I want them to love the feel of a book as much as I do.

But as much as I love the physical book, if I’m being honest with myself, it is the written words that really capture my heart.  And whether those words are on a page or on a screen, I’ll still love them equally.

Beth – 1
Books in Print – 1
eBooks – 1

12 comments:

  1. I love your blog! I'm visiting [day 2] from the A-Z challenge, and I too am torn between the ebook vs traditional book debate. As a student, I love the convenience of an ebook. I can save paper and ink by downloading my required readings in PDF onto my virtual reader. However, as a reader, I need and long to hold that book in my hands. I suppose, I am a romantic. I like to smell the dampness of my stores, to close them shut between my hands once I've finished, to ponder the language I've discovered from within. I have adapted to a student e-reader, because I've had to. I'd still prefer a book.
    Lovely to meet you, and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you stopped by! Will have to track you down and visit your page today. :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely agree...I love to read 1) classics and 2) old favorites in print. But completely admit that I am an e-book nut (and writer).

    D.B. McNicol
    A to Z: Romance & Mystery...writing my life

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your musings here. I occasionally purchase/read ebooks - and in fact am considering writing/producing one, ironically (being a LOVER of real books). I do find that I can "do" fiction better than non-fiction in the ebook format - non-fiction books require making underlines and notes in the margins (and actually fiction does at times, as well)! And I mean notes in my hand, with my idiosyncracies and symbols and attitude, not whatever e-note capabilities an e-reader might offer me. A cartoon a friend shared on Facebook today is a broom and a book sitting at a bar, the book looking despairing as everyone outside the window is walking with their faces in their smartphone...The broom says, "It'll be okay: they invented the vacuum cleaner, and I'M still here." :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. (And by the way, I'm visiting through A-to-Z! I'm a storyteller [many of OUR conversations revolve around print in any form and ORAL engagement with stories!] - http://www.storycrossings.com/2014/04/02/body/)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Will stop by later today. (Work calls first. )

      Delete
  6. i agree! feel the book, love the book! they depend on screen way too much, but it is the future... hard to believe how much we all use screens now... i appreciate you trying to help them get that bound book experience!

    happy b day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love both e and printed books ... I agree kids would benefit from the feel of a book and especially if it has pictures.
    But anything to encourage kids to read would be great - comics, graphic novels ...
    Thank you for this post!
    Garden of Eden Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful post to a favorite topic of mine. You bring up some good points on both sides. Looking forward to following you this A-to-Z challenge (smile).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful post to a favorite topic of mine. You bring up some good points on both sides. Looking forward to following you this A-to-Z challenge (smile).

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to post a comment!