Thursday, April 3, 2014

A-Z Blogging Challenge: C is for Carmel

Carmel.  Monterey.  Pacific Grove.  No three words bring happier childhood memories for me.  Two of my three books take place there, and that is no coincidence.

I remember these places vividly.  It is never too warm; the temperature hovers in the mid to high fifties, sometimes gracing the upper sixties.  There is a thin veil of damp fog that lines the streets and creeps in and out of the dense trees in the morning.  Everything is lush and green, and my nose is always a little bit cold to the touch. 

We went hiking and found salamanders, slugs, deer and rabbits.  My feet crunched on the pathways, and before we went on a hike with my grandfather, we would help him choose a finely-crafted wooden walking cane.  At Point Lobos we would search for heron, seals and otters in the ocean below.  The wind would whip my hair and I loved it.

And the ocean was never for swimming.  It was for leaping from jagged rock to rock and for finding small fish and starfish in the tide-pools.  It was for running on little legs down long, vacant stretches of beach, leaving kid-sized footprints in the sand.

Monterey holds such beautiful memories for me.  I long to go back.  Until then, my characters will have to make it real for me.

Monterey – 1
Beth - ?

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My apologies I entered an incorrect address to start. But I said 'it sounds wonderful and a place I've always wanted to visit'.

      Delete
    2. You should! It is the most beautiful place I've ever been.

      Delete
  2. Your blog description made me laugh out loud. And I enjoyed this post. It seems most of us have that one place that we hold close to our hearts and if we can't be there, then we put our fictional characters there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that part of California and who wouldn't. I too grew up in a beautiful place so I understand how you treasure your memories. I'm stopping by from the A to Z and will sign up to be your latest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping by from AtoZ - Love the sense of place: thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saying hi as I stop by on my A-to-Z tour. Carmel sounds wonderful. I hope to go there someday. Have fun on this challenge!
    Mary from The View from my World

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the pics, Carmel looks beautiful. Some of my A-Zs are about CA too, but the haunted places! lol
    (new follower)
    Lexa Cain’s Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always thought Monterey woul be a great setting for a good haunting!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to post a comment!