To begin, my editor, Summer, was awesome. She was very organized, prompt and thorough. I started by formatting the manuscript properly, (Only ONE space between sentences!) , then thought, “Hey! This is really easy!” These words were an ominous precursor to what was to come.
I experienced very few scene re-writes, so in that sense I was lucky. I think all of the time I spent editing the book myself, before the submission process, paid off in this respect.
But oh, the words. The too-often repeated, specific words.
Those evil little words that I used 800 times a piece (sadly, no exaggeration here) and had to eliminate, one by one. I won’t lie – getting rid of them was tedious and took a very long time. But I knew this process would make my manuscript better, so I stuck with it. Each word I erased was a small accomplishment. Another step forward. Wine was helpful in this stage.
As a cautionary tale to writers – avoid these words at all costs. You’ll just have to get rid of them later, and their absence makes for a more vivid story.
After four months, the editing process was finished, and those months flew by. For those who worry about editing, I hope to relieve your anxiety. It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. In fact, I actually enjoyed it.
Beth – 1
Editing – 1Summer the Editor – 1