Tuesday, April 8, 2014

A-Z Blogging Challenge - G is for Grandparents

How could I not talk about my grandparents when presented with the letter G?

EXACTLY what we ate.  Mmmmmm.
We’ll start with my dad’s parents.  My Grammy Sis and Papa Pete were Italians.  Family functions were boisterous events full of wine and delicious foods, like spaghetti, fried peppers with Rita’s Italian bread, and smelts.  They were loud, hollering when they needed something, never hesitating to yell across the room or talk over the other twelve or so relatives who were visiting.  They gave big, tight hugs.  My Gram told dirty jokes to the priest and my Papa dared me to punch him in the stomach to show how strong he was. 

A smoking man, in case
you've never seen one.
My mom’s parents were the exact opposite.  They lived quietly.  Family events were small, just my Grandma June, Grandpa Burke, and my family, and filled with elegant foods like lamb, or chicken and mushrooms.  They had wine too, but it came from my grandpa’s personal wine cellar in the basement.  The nights were softer, and I’d crawl on my grandpa’s lap while he watched Doctor Who, or sit at the kitchen table, watching smoke swirl from a Smoking Man, as my grandma cooked.   In the morning, I’d watch from the window while quail darted in and out of the cactus garden and fog lingered on the road.

And they were both wonderful.  I couldn't have asked for anything better.


Beth – 1


Grandparents – there is no way to measure their worth

6 comments:

  1. I lost both of my grandmothers last year, and I'm still aching for the loss. I miss them so much, and wish they were here every day. It's strange how some of their quirks are what I miss most now. New follower here. I'm stopping by from the "A to Z" and I look forward to visiting again.

    Sylvia
    http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following Sylvia. I'm sorry about your grandparents. I know how hard it is to lose them, and it is strange how the quirks end up meaning so much. Heading over to your blog now!

      Delete
  2. Interesting you hear about your family traditions. Thanks for sharing!

    D.B. McNicol
    A to Z: Romance & Mystery...writing my life

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's interesting that your mom and dad were from such different backgrounds, and delightful that you enjoyed the differences and have such fond memories. I'd never heard of a smoking man (except in the X-FIles - lol!). Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I imagine your parents' wedding was pretty interesting coming from such different backgrounds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely to read! And especially now that I'm a grandparent - I'm Nana to 2 little granddaughters who live wa-a-a-ay too far away (I'm in Colorado, they're in California.) - I'm doing what I can to be Nana-in-their-lives... We do video chats, and I'm cultivating work/gigs in the San Francisco Bay Area so I can afford to go visit them more... I hope I can offer them the kind of warm experiences and memories you've share here of your grandparents. Thanks so much! (visiting from A-Z) storycrossings.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to post a comment!