Thursday, April 17, 2014

A-Z Blogging Challenge: O is for On Self Promotion

As an author, I have found the most difficult part about the publishing process is the promotion.  I am generally not a person who enjoys "praising" myself.  When it comes time, my face gets red, I shift uncomfortably, and I fidget with something, like a rubber-band.  Sometimes I click the pen of a cap on and off until those around me probably want to yank it from my hand and hurdle it across the room in frustration and desperation.

But, because my first book will be released on July 22nd, I am aware that self-promotion is huge in its success.  Therefore, I decided to jump on the "yay me" bandwagon and do my best to get my name out there, which is a lot more work than it sounds like. 

I've found that social media is a Godsend.  Oddly enough, while I imagined that Facebook would be my greatest ally, it has turned out to be a bit of a "fizzle".  I have some followers, but have since learned that Facebook limits who my posts reach, and find that very few people respond to me. 

Twitter, however, has been very different.  Author followers are easy to come by, and while 90 out of 100 of them are only in it for themselves, ten of them will retweet you and help you out.  I've made it a goal to be one of those ten, and have finally started to see positive results.  Finding readers can be harder, but I still have faith it will happen.

Google Plus is a great place to find dedicated readers who are ready and willing to promote the work of authors.  If you haven't been there, I suggest you check it out.

Lastly, I'm nervous and excited about book signings and having a release party to celebrate my accomplishment.  So many of my friends and family have already asked for an autographed copy of my book, which seems so silly to me, because I see them every day.  I'm no more important than they are, but signing a book has a bit of an "important" air to it, I suppose.  Plus, it seems odd to celebrate myself with a big party.  So, I've started to look at it, instead, like a birthday party for my book.  That way, it's about the book, not about me.  And everyone loves a good birthday party, right?

Long story short, promotion is a learning experience, but one I'm beginning to accept.  If you have any ideas on how to make it easier, I'd love to hear them!

Not sure how to tally this.  We'll keep it general.

Beth - 1 (Because I'm learning)

1 comment:

  1. Beth, I love this post. I'm right there with you, so I know the struggle. I hate, hate, hate blowing my own horn. But in this business, it seems there is no other choice. You're doing a great job, by the way, and helping me as you're learning!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to post a comment!