Friday, April 18, 2014

A-Z Blogging Challenge: P is for Process of Writing

The writing process.  After talking to many, many different authors, I've discovered that it is different for ever single author.  Here is a bit about mine:

Sporadic would be the best word.  I'm a mom and a full-time teacher, which means I'm busy as all get-up and completely poor.  So, I don't have the luxury of closing the door to my personal office with my cup of expensive coffee in order to write, uninterrupted, for six hours.  Actually, looking back at that last sentence, I just want to laugh with hysterical sadness.

No.  Instead, I feel like I'm representative of the most devoted type of writer.  I write in the evenings, after lunches are made, dinner is eaten and cleaned up, and the kids are put to bed.  I write during my lunch breaks, when I can spare the sanity created by not stopping once during the day.  I write while my kids are doing their homework, stopping often to help them, or while they are streaking across the house like crazy monkeys, screaming and jumping around my chair.  I write during the fifteen minutes I had between my son's baseball game and my daughter's Girl Scout troop event.  I write when I wake up at 6:00 a.m. on a weekend, and am unable to turn off my mind long enough to fall back asleep.  I write when SpongeBob Squarepants, or Chopped, or ESPN's Sportscenter, or (if you ever tell my husband this I'll deny it) Redskins' games are on.

Basically, I write when I can.  Because I'm compelled.  Because I love it.  Because it's worth it.

Beth - 1
Authors Like Me - 1

3 comments:

  1. Writing when you can is wonderful. Just keep adding sentences and paragraphs and pages and don't worry what others are doing.

    Dropping in from the A-Z
    Laurel
    Laurel's Leaves

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to post a comment!