Friday, April 25, 2014

A-Z Blogging Challenge - V is for Vitae

Vitae: a brief biographical resume of one's career and training, as prepared by a person applying for a job.

Coincidentally, I had my students create a Vitae poem fashioned after Lisel Mueller's poem titled Curriculum Vitae just a few weeks ago.  Today, I'll share my own Curriculum Vitae poem with you.  I make no promises - my poetry skills are lacking.  But so were my options for the letter 'V'.

Beth's Curriculum Vitae
 
I was born to a family of metaphorical gypsies, dragged from bitter winters to dry, hot summers to sticky fall days.

Friendship was fleeting, a promise, there and gone again, with only stickers for memories.

Schools were as numerous as tiny summer gnats.  Each day was filled with errors and achievements I can’t remember and am too busy to recall.

College passed by too quickly.  I dream of going back.

A whirlwind romance led to marriage, as a brain tumor led to children.  Both unexpected.  Both life-changing.  Both amazing.

Though I expected to slow down now, life has decided to plow forward into unknown territory filled with thorny roses, brilliant hydrangeas and hearty ivy. 

I wake from my first dream to find it a reality, bound and full of pages.

Small, elegant huts on stilts in the water, the purple hue of the Northern Lights and orange leis fill my mind.

I speak many languages, but have not finished learning.

One day, I will return to Monterey, where my imagination was born, where my happiest memories remain, where my family will join me.  I will put aside ingrained gypsy ways and be still.

Poems - 1
Beth's Poem - eh

1 comment:

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to post a comment!