Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A – Z Challenge: A is for Antagonists

When people ask me about my books, they usually inqure about my protagonists.  Now, don’t get me wrong, I love my protagonists.  They are brave, smart, snarky and vulnerable.  But I have a secret to tell you:  they are much harder to create than my antagonists.

My antagonists lurk deep within me, and when I write about them, their stories emerge without struggle.  Each evil thought, each twisted idea that they wish to carry out is readily at my fingertips, sometimes without me even knowing it was there.

And they take on a life of their own.  It is my antagonists – my truly evil “bad guys” – who make the surprise moves that I never anticipated.  They bring surprise, raise suspicion, deliver terror.   I love writing about them because they pretty much write themselves, and the stories they have to tell are horrifyingly wonderful.

I don’t know why this is.  Perhaps it is the dark animal that lies within every human being: a Heart of Darkness type beast waiting to be set free; or, it could be some pent up energy that I keep repressed and is anxious for release.  Maybe it is just my ridiculous imagination.  Or maybe, it is much easier to write about something I pray I'll never become.

 Beth – 1
Antagonists - 1

6 comments:

  1. Who doesn't love a good antagonist??? I like your supposition-- the beast within-- best to let it out on harmless paper right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good first post. I am not a writer and the notion of imagining protagonists and antagonists makes my legs wobbly but I love to read and am very fussy about what I spend time on. It is interesting to get to peek behind an author's mind and listen to what goes on there. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always maintain that the best of us has some "bad" just as the worst of us has some "good." Developing an antagonist is far more difficult than developing a protagonist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great start to the A-Z challenge. I'll be back for more!

    D.B. McNicol
    Romance & Mystery...writing my life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Will visit you today also!

      Delete
  5. Ah, the joy of a good antagonist! Is it because they can get away with things we would never dream of? Great choice for 'A.'

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to post a comment!