Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Typos

My book might have some typos.

Yeah.  I'm willing to admit it.  There's a typo or two.  Or three, but I'm not counting because my husband has threatened to leave me if I keep dwelling on the number.

I allowed a friend of mine to read Voices of the Sea and, being an English teacher, she couldn't help but notice the occasional error.  I can't blame her.  Usually I notice them too.  But I've read my book about 96 times, and I'm convinced that an author overlooks his/her mistakes because she knows what the book SHOULD say.  Which is, of course, different from what it DOES say.

Despite the mistake(s), I ask my readers to go easy on me.  Think about all the times you typed an email and found a typo after you sent it.  Now, multiply that by two-hundred and eighty-five.  Yup.  Go ahead and freak out.  I did.

And, if I'm being honest, I didn't stop freaking out until my ten-year-old said, "Mommy, I just finished reading Ramona and Beezus, and I saw at least three mistakes.  But I still loved the book."  Romana and Beezus is a classic.  It is wonderful, magical and untouchable.

After hearing what she said, I stopped crying, finished my pizza, and sat down to write this blog.

Amazing how she puts everything into perspective.

Beth - 0
Jillian - 1
Voices of the Sea - 1 (despite the flaws)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to post a comment!