Sunday, October 4, 2015

Whole30 and the Redskins Game

Desperate for change, I switched to the Whole30 diet about a month ago, hoping for some way to make my body healthier and lose some weight.  But, in true Beth form, I declined to give up alcohol.

I wasn't sure it would work.  I wasn't counting calories.  I wasn't "watching" what I ate.  Instead, I only ate natural meats, vegetables, fruits, coconut milk and almonds.

In a month, I lost a significant amount of weight.  My digestive issues (I'll spare you the details) improved.  My head cleared.  It totally worked.

Today, I convinced my husband to join me.  As I mentioned in my last post, I've changed my outlook a bit, so will try and focus my future blog posts on healthy eating, the books I'm reading, and my new teaching strategies.  I thought I'd start with my Sunday "Prep," as I've come to call it.

To get ready for the Whole30 week with the hubs, I cut up a watermelon, sliced strawberries and cleaned grapes.

For breakfasts, I made egg muffins.  The recipe goes like this:

1.  Saute desire vegetables (today, I used zucchini, mushrooms and spinach) in olive oil until soft.
2.  Spray muffin tins with coconut oil spray.
3.  Portion out veggies into muffin tins.
4.  Beat nine eggs and distribute between 12 muffin cups.
5.  Use a fork to mix the veggies and egg together.
6.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes.

I only used half the eggs for the recipe above this time, and put them in 6 muffin cups.  For the rest, I mixed pumpkin and pecans into the remaining eggs, and used those for the other 6 muffin cups.  Gotta have variety, right?

I have 1-2 egg muffins a morning, coupled with a smoothie, and am easily satisfied until lunch.

For lunches, I purchased deli meat, and will wrap it around different veggies (green peppers, zucchini, lettuce), coupled with fruit and nuts on the side.  I also roasted a chicken, made my own mayonaise, and created both chicken salad and tuna salad to put in Mike's lunchbox.

I'll try and chronicle my different dinner fores over the rest of the week.

On the alcohol front, we've been watching the Redskins all afternoon, which required a little champagne and shots of Red Stag.  This plan worked initially, but then the Skins, in true Redskins form, deteriorated during the second half.  As a result, we switched to beer and shots of Red Stag.

You can see the mixed emotions from the crowd in the picture, but the game's not over yet.

Here's to a great week, good eating, and a Redskins' win!

Beth - 1
Whole30 - 1
Skins - ??

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to post a comment!