Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Adulting is Hard

Being an adult is hard.  Really hard.  Like so hard that I don't have the heart to tell my senior students that it's hard.  They'll figure it out eventually, and then the joke is on them.

You know how it goes, right?  You have to make an adult decision, you do a bunch of research to make sure you're making the right decision, and then you follow through with the decision.  And then you realize you made the wrong decision.  Pretty textbook.

I did this recently.  I was feeling pretty adult about my major decision, until I found a piece of information that slipped my attention during the "research" phase.  Then I did the adult thing by breaking down, sobbing to my husband that I'd made the wrong choice, and begging him to help me back out of it.  You know.  Adult.

The worst part is that sometimes backing out of adult decisions is expensive.  This one sure was.

Anyhoo, this brings me back to my main point, which is that being an adult is really hard.  And not fun.  And stressful.  But it does make you realize that making it through adulthood is okay as long as you have awesome people to support you.  My family has been incredibly supportive of my major adult blunder, assuring me that everyone makes mistakes.  Maybe they do, and maybe they don't, but I know I feel less crappy because of the people who love me.

So I may not be moving out of my parent's house as soon as I thought, but I know I've learned from this mistake, and I suppose that's an important part of adulting, too.

Also, wine helps.  And beer.

Just saying.

Beth - 0
Adulting - 0
Learning Experience - 1  

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Loooongggg story. I'll fill you in soon. :)

      Delete
  2. Adulting is hard. Whatever it is that happened, you're going to be ok. Mike is a pretty wonderful partner for the good and tough adulting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always tell me own kids, as long as you grow from the experience and don't make the same mistake again, it's just an essential part of life. I also believe in fate, Beth. Sometimes it just takes a while to understand why it was meant to be.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to post a comment!