Thursday, July 13, 2017

My New, Improved (and freaking beautiful) Website

As I was posting my last blog over at Women on Writing, it occurred to me that I never promoted my own website on my blog!  Time to fix that.

If you read my other post, you'll see why I waited so long before updating my website.  But, to make a long story short, I paid a student to create my original site because I was busy, tired, and too scared to create one for myself.  At the time, it was a perfect solution.

The problem?  I had no way to update it.  Only he knew how to make changes.  Four years later, I had no access to him.  Once he graduated, we completely lost touch.

My choices were clear:  keep the outdated site with information from four years ago and an unflattering photograph of myself, or wipe the slate clean and attempt to create a new website on my own.  It took some courage, a large serving of wine, and a short prayer to God before I made the leap and told Host Monster to delete all existing content.

I then started my rocky journey with WordPress.

WordPress and I have a love/hate relationship.  I love my final product.  I hated the road to get there. Before using WordPress, I had zero experience creating a website.  Blogger doesn't count, since a two-year-old could figure it out.

I made mistake after mistake.  I tossed four-letter words at the screen.  I stormed into the kitchen to get more wine when I failed to achieve what I wanted.  I spend hours researching how to complete every tiny aspect of the program.  Finally, however, it came together, piece-by-piece.  Each small accomplishment pushed me further, until I was satisfied with the end result.

Personally, I think my website is wonderful.

It showcases my writing, my (super amateur) photography, and my brand as an author.

If you haven't had a peek, please do!  And feel free to leave feedback in the comments!

VISIT MY WEBSITE HERE.

Beth - 1
WordPress' Difficulty - 0
Beth's Courage - 1

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes that can be the hardest part, just letting go. Once you tell them to delete it, it feels scary in the moment, but there is no turning back. That is when the creative juices start to flow and you have nowhere to go but up from that point. I think that you made the right decision in the end.

    Simon Quinn @ Marine Dealer Solutions

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to post a comment!